Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
Our MissionTonkon Torp is committed to the learning, hard work, and change necessary to continue our evolution into a firm and a community that is anti-racist, equitable, and inclusive.
As part of this mission, we are committed to a workplace culture that values and promotes equity, diversity, inclusion, equal employment opportunities, and a work environment free of harassment and hostility.
At Tonkon Torp we believe diverse, equitable, and inclusive representation at all levels is fundamental to the success of our firm and our community. We strive to foster a workplace that reflects and represents the perspectives and experiences of our clients, workforce, and community. We have made diversity a priority since forming the Diversity Task Force in 2004. While we are proud of our work over the years, we recognize and honor the need to be more intentional, visible, vocal, and accountable in our efforts.
Tonkon Torp has implemented several firm-wide initiatives in support of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI). In addition, we financially support and actively participate in numerous community and nonprofit organizations that fight for better diversity, equity, and inclusion in our community and in the legal profession.
Tonkon Torp is committed to advance diversity, equity and inclusion at our firm. We pledge to:
- Be an organization where all attorneys and members of staff, and the broader community that we serve, feel valued and represented.
- Attract, recruit, retain, engage, support, develop, and advance underrepresented and diverse employees, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, and individuals of other underrepresented groups.
- Eliminate racism, racial prejudice, and unfair discrimination in the workplace.
- Produce an anti-racist and rights-based culture, which includes respect for human dignity and diversity through policies, processes, practices, and structures.
- Promote equal opportunity and fair treatment of employees through inclusive policies and practices.
- Create a working climate that acknowledges and appreciates diversity.
Tonkon Torp’s original Diversity Task Force has changed into the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee. Due to overwhelming interest in participation in 2020, the larger committee convened a Steering Committee to coordinate our DEI initiatives, create and implement an action plan, and lead the larger committee. A representative from the Steering Committee sits on the Managing Board to communicate and implement the DEI Committee’s initiatives to firm leadership and the rest of the organization.
Steering Committee Members:
- Jeri Chavis, Manager of Attorney Recruiting
- Sherrill Corbett, Partner, Managing Board Member
- Stephanie Grant, Associate
- Tillie Hasson, Legal Assistant
- Parna Mehrbani, Partner
- Kathryn Shimabukuro, Director of Strategic Marketing & Business Development